Senior Microbiologist (Team Leader)
My Scottish client is a pharmaceutical company focussed on developing therapeutics from the human gut microbiome. Live biotherapeutic products (LBPs) derived from the gut microbiome represent a new class of drugs that contain live organisms for the prevention, treatment or cure of disease.
Applications are invited for the role of Senior Microbiologist (Team Leader) to join the research team. The successful candidate will provide scientific expertise and leadership to the proprietary drug discovery platform, for the early discovery of new LBPs in novel therapeutic areas. The successful candidate will investigate the mechanisms through which bacterial candidates confer disease protection on the host. This involves mining of our bacterial culture collection for identification of microbial molecules and pathways important for host interaction.
An extensive knowledge of host-microbe communication, ideally in the field of gut microbiome research, is therefore crucial to this position. A background in metabolomics/proteomics is highly desirable along with proven expertise in microbial genetics. The post-holder will have the opportunity to engage in the wider research activities of the research team, write up results in the form of reports and publications, present research outcomes at meetings, and generate intellectual property.
The successful candidate will have:
• A PhD with relevant post-doctoral or industry experience (>3-4 years) in microbiology or a related discipline
• Solid experience in a range of (anaerobic) microbiological techniques and proven expertise in assay development
• Experience with bacterial protein purification, analysis of bacterial metabolites and genome mining
• Thorough understanding of the gut microbiome and host-microbe interactions
• Highly motivated and innovative with the ability to work independently and integrate into a multidisciplinary team of microbiologists and molecular biologists
• Good organisational and communication skills proven by previous line management and supervision experience
Salary: £40-45,000 PA