Head of Technical Services
Our client is a market leader within the metals, minerals and solid fuels industries. They are now looking for a Head of their Technical Services department. This is a managing and leadership role to encourage, harness and deliver on new ideas and initiatives to support and grow the UK based technical team, the global group, and their clients. The Technical Services department support the whole of the international inspection, analysis and technical consultancy. This rapidly growing 2000 person strong company is committed to nurturing and developing its workforce.
The Technical Services team advises and supports global metals and minerals clients in weighing, sampling and sample preparation operations, laboratory analysis and materials testing, and transportation methodologies.
- Direct, manage, lead and develop the UK based team of personnel, broadening the scope and interaction between the current team, eventually growing the team of direct reports globally.
- Determine key range of tasks and support services for the Group Technical Department in consultation with other senior personnel and relevant departments / subsidiaries.
- Prioritise tasks / services required before full implementation. Allocate appropriate preparation tasks and establish a time table in each case.
- Communicate range of support services available to the whole Group and how such services can be accessed. Maintain regular contact with all senior personnel and Group Companies / departments utilising the services of the Technical Department and react accordingly.
- In consultation, map out the ideal Global technical support structure to provide both day to day as well as ad hoc support and thereafter commence putting together the desired global technical support structure.
- Encourage ideas for developing new strategies relating to weighing, sampling and moisture determination and thereafter agree an appropriate R & D program.Train, motivate and utilise team members most appropriately.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be an experienced manager of people who can lead by example and gain respect through motivation, support and collaborative working. They will have the ability to develop the skills and knowledge within the team and create an environment where knowledge sharing is a priority. This experience may have been gained across a broad range of industry sectors including mining, engineering, pharmaceuticals, working to recognised international standards and understanding a range of international cultures.
- Be able to demonstrate a solid technical background. Familiarity/ knowledge/ appreciation of international standards ISO standards.
- Have knowledge of mineral inspection, bulk material sampling, weighing systems and sample preparation. Ideal technical subjects covered at degree level: chemistry, metallurgy and / or geology.
- Language skills (Chinese, Spanish and/or French especially) would be desirable.
With this being an international role, travel will be required, the frequency of which will be determined by the needs of the business.
Location: North West England
Salary: Attractive salary, bonus and benefits package
For more science jobs, go to www.sci-search.com