Research Scientist, Crop Protection
Our southern based client develops and manufactures a range of seed treatment and crop protection products. They are actively looking for a Research Scientist responsible for planning, coordinating and managing a number of research programmes. This commercially focused role demands close attention to detail and strong project management skill. Below is an outline summary of principal tasks.
- Plan and undertake technical development work including trials on new technologies to confirm efficiency in the laboratory, leading to new patents or ‘know-how’.
- Be responsible for setting milestones and deliverables for projects, provide regular progress reports and maintaining tight control of project costs.
- Liaise with research collaborators and other co-operators to ensure successful study results that will be used to support the business development team’s out-licensing activities.
- Supervise and write up research projects in a timely manner including providing interim and final technical reports, and compliance with specific grant reporting criteria.
- Work with a team of scientists in generating new and innovative ideas and applications that utilise the Company’s technologies.
- Assist in the planning and submission of grant applications for research programs, ensuring the work undertaken meets the business plan objectives.
- Continually update the company with information on published academic studies, patents and new technology innovations / products.
- Present results at scientific conferences and/or at industry events
The ideal candidate will have:
- BSc or MSc in biology or bio-chemistry with microbiology, entomology or plant pathology module modules
- Recent laboratory and/or field testing work experience (2 years minimum) in the agriculture / bio-ag sector.
- Experience of working within small research teams on projects focussed on building disruptive intellectual property in a commercial setting
The candidate should be able to demonstrate;
- Ability to manage several research projects to develop novel solutions to disease or pest infestations to commercially important crops/commodities.
- Competence in designing, implementing, evaluating/analysing and reporting on laboratory and field experiments.
- Confidence in networking, seeking out new opportunities and managing existing relationships with customers and external researchers.
- Intellectual and inventive input to address market challenges with new technological solutions.
- Ability to multi task in a small interdisciplinary commercially focused research team and to present complex technical information at conferences, etc.
- Willingness to travel in the UK and abroad for extended periods at a time (maximum 1 week at a time) and must have a full UK driving license.
Location: South Central
Salary: Circa £30,000 (depending upon experience)
More science jobs at www.sci-search.com