Molecular Biology Group Leader
Our client is a specialist synthetic biology company offering a range of services and technologies to support the discovery, development and production of biologics, with a particular focus on viral vectors for gene therapy applications. They are in a phase of rapid expansion and are seeking a highly motivated and enthusiastic Group Leader, Molecular Biology to join the team and help facilitate the next stage of their development as a company.
The role will be involved in a range of internal platform development and commercial projects, across the wide remit of the Molecular Biology group. You will take on a number of specific responsibilities, notably expanding and developing the company’s plasmid and synthetic biology toolkit, further contributing to their multiple on-going programmes for viral vector design, engineering and bioproduction, and managing the expanding areas of DNA library design and construction.
The Group Leader is expected to provide technical leadership within this area and will act as a subject matter expert within the company. The position will involve extensive interaction with both internal and external stakeholders, and the ability to show commitment to scientific development and innovation are considered essential.
- Day to day management of activities within Molecular Biology laboratories
- Direct line management of Molecular Biology group
- To work closely with internal and external stakeholders to define project goals and deliverables, in line with planned project objectives
- To keep up-to date with the scientific literature and developments in the field
- Set an example to other colleagues, and to train and mentor junior staff
- Provide project summaries and reporting, as required, along with taking overall responsibility for output from the group
- Support and contribute to protection and assessment of intellectual property
- Promote and suggest implementation of new methods, technologies and processes to ensure best practice
- To ensure established quality standards are strictly adhered to, across all on-going activities
SKILLS + EXPERIENCE
- A Ph.D or DPhil in a relevant discipline.
- Extensive knowledge of subject area, and ideally a strong network within academic or industry groups
- Advanced knowledge of molecular biology techniques and approaches, ideally including automation of DNA assembly platforms, using Gibson, Golden gate methods as appropriate.
- Highly developed interpersonal, written and verbal skills, including the ability to give presentations and to speak to groups
- Experience in managing teams, both via direct line management and through matrix management
- Understanding of in-silico tools for DNA design along with good ability to utilize statistical approaches to optimize processes and procedures
- Advanced knowledge of viral vector genetics, and gene editing tools
- Experience in constructing and analyzing DNA libraries
Salary: Negotiable + Substantial Benefits
Location: South East England
For more science jobs, go to www.sci-search.com