Materials Specialist (Polymers)
Our South West based client manufactures medical training products for healthcare professionals and students worldwide. Their mission is to create and supply a system of training in ‘hands-on’ skills for healthcare professionals, enabling confident and competent practitioners through the use of their products.
They are now looking to recruit an experienced or developing (some experience) Polymer/Material Specialist to research new and existing polymer materials and assess their suitability for use in their products.
Reporting to the R&D manager typical responsibilities include:
• Research new and existing materials, analyse data to identify opportunities to improve developing new and existing products.
• Providing accurate cost figures.
• Run accelerated ageing material test & report on findings.
• Keeping up to date with technological, legal & regulatory developments, including; reviewing MSDS, conducting internal risk assessments and propose appropriate PPE or environments.
• Identify and solve relevant challenges within the context of new product development or production.
• Share technical information with other staff in an understandable manner.
• Educating production workers on the characteristics of the new materials and the changes that will occur at various production stages.
The ideal candidate will;
• Have a degree (or higher) within a relevant scientific subject such as; Applied Chemistry, Polymer Science or Materials Science.
• Have a practical working knowledge of silicone rubber (RTV, LSR & HCR), PU foam and injection moulded plastics.
• Good understanding of metals, predominantly aluminium and stainless steel.
• Industry experience working with polymers across a range of applications.
• Strong Project Management skills, ability to plan and well organised.
• High level of understanding of polymer synthesis and scale-up.
• Commercial problem-solving ability and able to generate IP.
• Understanding of product registration and regulatory requirements for chemicals industry an advantage.
Location: South West
Salary: up to £35,000 pa, dependant on skills and experience
For further Science Jobs visit www.sci-search.com