Assistant Overseas Technical Services Manager
Our Client is a leader is their field in providing analytical services to the metals and minerals industry in the analysis of metalliferous commodities and is looking for an established Chemist with supporting management experience, and holding specific experience in the analysis of a wide range of metalliferous materials associated with the world’s commodity market.
Reporting to the incumbent Overseas Technical Services Manager, you will be responsible for supporting the technical development of the Group’s overseas laboratories. The role will undoubtedly require you to support and manage multiple projects and objectives across different time zones. This role will involve overseas travel.
The role responsibilities include:
- Supporting the incumbent Overseas Technical Services Manager in the technical development of the Group’s overseas laboratory operations.
- Providing support to overseas Laboratory Managers in a technical / troubleshooting capacity through mentoring and leading by example to resolve technical and operational problems.
- Supporting the Overseas Technical Services Manager in maintaining regular formal dialogue with overseas Laboratory Managers to encourage clear lines of communication and direction (video conferencing / telephone conferencing).
- Supporting new innovation and its roll out across the Group.
- Supporting Senior Management in a technical and operational capacity in maintaining the Group’s overseas outsourcing operations, and ad hoc overseas projects during their initial development and start-up phases.
- Supporting overseas Laboratory Managers and the Country Manager in identifying possible capital expenditure and renewals / forecasting the needs of our overseas laboratory operations over the financial year.
- Supporting Laboratory Managers in their effective management of external quality accreditation, raising any concerns with both the Laboratory and Country Manager.
- Identifying H&S concerns as part of any audit process informing the Laboratory and Country Manager and agreeing corrective action.
- Regularly updating the Overseas Technical Services Manager and maintaining clear lines of communication with Senior UK Laboratory Management on overseas issues.
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
- Any of the following qualifications: HNC, BSc or MSc Chemistry degree (inorganic chemistry)
- At least 5 years’ experience in a fast paced laboratory environment
- A high level of understanding in classical inorganic analytical chemistry
- A high level of understanding in modern instrumental analytical techniques
- Excellent communication skills
- A proven track record in method development
- A proven track record in managing people and technical projects – preferably across multiple locations
- Application of the principles of ISO/IEC 17025
- Ability to audit laboratory processes according to fixed audit criteria
- Competence in use of Microsoft programs for report writing and data processing
- Spanish as a foreign language – desirable
Salary: Negotiable depending on experience
Location: North West England