Bioinformatics Scientist, PCR Diagnostics
Location: South East England
Salary: Negotiable + Benefits
Our client is seeking an experienced Bioinformatics Scientist to address their needs for PCR assay design. They have customers in many different sectors including academia, research, healthcare, food industry and the veterinary industry selling to over 100 countries worldwide.
The candidate will apply algorithms and bespoke software programs to support PCR assay design and conduct in silico validation of assays. They will also analyse experimental data with the goal of improving and maintaining the design processes required to support company objectives. You will be required to apply your design knowledge to utilise innovative chemistries across a wide range of applications; e.g. expression profiling, genotyping, multiplexing etc.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Manage a team of design specialists to support the development of assays: the design PCR primers and probes for targeted assays using existing pipelines and tools
- Develop, maintain, and execute bioinformatics pipelines for assay design, data mining and sequence analysis.
- Assess designs and develop/maintain processes and algorithms to improve the assay design pipeline (for the purposes of generating of IP)
- Curate sequence data and mine public databases for sequence content periodically
- Work closely with internal and external collaborators to define the bioinformatics requirements for assays, set timelines and perform design reviews.
- Assist in the execution of development studies, ensuring compliance with all applicable laboratory practices.
- Assist in the data analysis and report writing of development studies, ensuring compliance with all applicable regulatory standards.
Qualifications and experience required:
- MSc/PhD in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Genomics or related field
Previous PCR knowledge and hands-on experience.
- 2+ years of relevant work experience is required; industry preferred
- Proficient with bioinformatics analysis tools: multiple sequence alignment, BLAST analysis, open reading frame analysis; secondary, tertiary and quaternary protein structure prediction, phylogenetics
- Expertise in mining public databases for genomic sequences
- Expertise in sequence analysis tools for mapping and comparative genomics
- Understanding of the biology behind genotyping, gene expression profiling, comparative genomics and genetic mapping
- Experience of working within a quality system is highly advantageous, particularly ISO 13485.
For more science jobs, go to www.sci-search.com