Research Bioinformatician - Sequencing
Based North East England
Negotiable salary + Benefits
Our client is an exciting and highly innovative multinational company headquartered in the United Kingdom, developing affordable point of care molecular diagnostic assays and associated technologies.
This role requires an experienced bioinformatician to support the company’s commercialisation program by working within the Assay Team to support the development of assays for the Company’s diagnostic platform. It is an opportunity for candidates with a strong background in sequence based bioinformatics to take a key role on projects leading to the development of the POC platform and diagnostic assays.
A key success factor for this position is the ability to work in a fast paced, cross functional group environment, with a willingness to be involved across a wide area of responsibilities. A great capacity and desire for taking on new responsibilities and challenges is essential as the company grows and projects expand. The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting the development of in-vitro diagnostic (IVD) products in the areas of nucleic acid testing.
You will be expected to work within the Assay Team to deliver molecular diagnostic product pipeline
- Collate and annotate reference sequences across multiple microorganisms
- Create and implement new custom tools to store and interpret sequence data
- Interrogate sequence data and design new diagnostic assays
- Work towards the goals of collaborative projects with external partners and be point of contact for some.
- Work within the quality systems following GDP and working to ISO 13485 standard.
Experience, knowledge and requirements
- BSc/MSc degree or equivalent in a relevant subject (i.e. bioinformatics, biology, computational science)
- PhD in a relevant subject (i.e. bioinformatics, genomics) or previous work experience in a relevant technical, scientific role
- Experience in bioinformatic analysis of sequencing data
- Relevant experience in bioinformatics with a strong preference for microbial genomics experience
- Familiarity with sequencing data (Sanger and NGS) and standard bioinformatics tools (alignment, variant calling, assembly etc.)
- Experience in data manipulation and analysis of large genomic datasets
- Knowledge and competence in R and other programming languages
- Experience of sequence database development and management
- Experience in nucleic acid amplification-based assay design and development
- Knowledge of nucleic acid amplification and detection chemistries
- Knowledge of statistics
- Ability to work to the Company’s Quality Systems and Policies in line with ISO13485 standards
- Be eligible to work full time in the UK without restriction.
- Knowledge of infectious diseases and their diagnosis
For more science jobs, go to www.sci-search.com